Thursday 6 September 2007

Day 5 Poole to Wroxhall - A Meeting of Minds

"George used to do something in the garden"...Today was an early start for me and I had to work for my breakfast as it was being prepared 10 miles away! In order to catch up with Dad, I set off from home just after 07:00 so I could arrive in Bournemouth in time for our usual 08:00 breakfast. Thankfully, the planned route for the day was only 48 miles and as I had already completed over a fifth of this distance before breakfast, we had a gentle day ahead of us! On the first stretch down to Lymington to catch the Isle of Wight ferry we had our first collision. My acute sense of body movement meant that I pulled out on to a main road as Dad did...just as he stopped having noticed an approaching car. You could call it a meeting of minds, but in reality, it was just proof that crash helmets work very well in a low impact headbutt situation! No serious injuries were sustained (although I did, today, pick up a couple of additions to my awesome collection of cool looking pedal inflicted scars on my right leg). Today's stunning weather meant that the ferry crossing over to Yarmouth was beautifully calm and made for some good photo opportunities. As we were making good time, arriving on the Island before 12 with only 23 miles to do, we decided to grab an uncharacteristic pub lunch and added a few miles on by heading over to the Needles which are featured in today's photo. To finish off the day, we followed the Randonee route around the south of the island which contains a couple of good climbs to make us feel like we've put the effort in today! ...Quite who George was and what he did in the garden, we will never know!

No comments: